The Lynx ProjectLincoln-Mercury’s Lost Dream Car


Page: 1 of 5

06 November 2004:

I began by manufacturing the hydraulic cylinder and piston. The cylinder body is from styrene tubing and  sheet; the piston rod is from steel, joined by screw thread at one end with plastic piston.

01 May 2005:

I cut lengths of brass I-beams for the chassis.

The part with holes is the rearmost member of the chassis, the holes being for the rear lamps.

04 May 2005:

I soldered the chassis longitudinal and cross members by fixing within a frame vise.

06 May 2005:

The basic construction of the chassis is done.

 07 May 2005:

Returning to the hydraulic cylinder, I cut the end plate from styrene sheet and glued it at one end of the cylinder. I drilled the holes for passing pins to imitate bolts.


The 4 pins are inserted through the holes.

The ends of the pins are cut.

09 May 2005:
I made and glued the pin joint head to the end and also manufactured the other end through which the piston rod will pass.

I assembled the cylinder and piston.

12 May 2005:

I used wheels from Lancia Delta Rally kit as the basis for manufacturing the traction wheels. I also used resin-cast tire halves.

19 May 2005:
I cut a disc from styrene sheet and glued it inside the wheel to provide a flat surface to install the hub.

I cut the hubs from a plastic toy's wheels and glued them inside.

22 May 2005:
I cut some suitable parts from threaded brass rods to make the kingpins for the stub axles.

Stub axles as developments

Stub axles manufactured.

Stub axles installed on the chassis.

For the rear axles, I drilled and tapped the chassis side members.

I inserted a screw from the inside and fixed suitable wheels from my parts box at the outside.

The two photos below are the rolling (err... static) chassis.

Lynx - index