The New Beetle-RS 
(Roadster Sport)
Original Kit: Revell Snap 7106
Date Started: 03 June 2004
.Date Finished: 21 August 2004
Page  3  of 6

July 21, 2004:

For the lamps, there was nothing in my parts box that would be suitable for the RS. So playing around, I came across my LED stock which immediately lit a light that I could use them and make them operate too. So I began from the rear, by covering the rear lamp recesses with styrene.

I drilled carefully in 6 steps, holes with 5 mm diameters for the LEDs.
A test fit with the LEDs, for the drilled holes.
The headlamps should have their share too, with the white LEDs. I cut and drilled the back side of the headlamp reflectors.
Inserting a LED, and installing temporarily in the front fender, I saw that the back of the LED was too long and it would show from the wheel arch.
The remedy was trimming the LED down close to the anode and cathode. I performed the job with a cutting disc of Dremel. The cut section of the LED was dull, and I applied Humbrol Clear Cote to make it crystal clear again.
July 27, 2004:

For the boot lid hinge, I formed a paper clips wire to shown at the right. 

I prepared the bed for the hinge from styrene sheets. 
The hinge assembly. 
.July 31, 2004:

For the front signal lamps, I trimmed two rectangular LEDs and bent the legs to ease the wiring layout under the fender.

I marked the area that the signal lamps would pop out of the fender and drilled the area out. 
After finishing the hole with filing, I checked for lamp fits.
Both front signal lamp holes are ready.
The rear lamp cluster had to be grouped together. I decided to use a plastic glue gun and to prevent sticking to the fender at this moment, I applied Humbrol Maskol to the insides.
I applied molten plastic over the LEDs after installation in their holes. Before the plastic got hard, I adjusted the final positions of the LEDs.
A general look showed no misalignments in positioning.
I soldered the common (-) legs and bent them right upwards. Then I completed the plastic over the cluster to isolate the legs from each other.
I bent the legs to suit the fender inner surface. Wiring will follow during final installation.